Wednesday, November 16, 2011

Final Exams, for the Next-to-Last Time

It’s that time of the semester: final exams start tomorrow. I was stressed about it a couple of weeks ago, but started studying early and now I feel pretty on top of things. The only class that’s giving me any trouble is Companion Animal Medicine, because the exam is cumulative. I know the material pretty well, so when I try to study I get bored and quit.

Finals Schedule

  • Thursday: Farm animal knowledge and production. Comprehensive final covering our first 3 years with pigs, poultry, goats & sheep, horses, dairy cattle & beef cattle. It includes a practical. It’s pass/fail, so I’m going on faith that I’ve retained enough information about how to body condition score a beef cow and harness a horse that I can pass.

  • Friday: Theriogenology. My least favorite class ever. It’s almost over.

  • Saturday: Equine Medicine. Bye, bye, horseys.

  • Monday: Toxicology (a.m.) and Exotic & Emerging Diseases (p.m.)

  • Tuesday: Companion Animal Medicine. Stuff relevant to my career – yay!

  • Wednesday: Lab Animal and Special Species Medicine

Other Stuff…

Over the last few weeks, we’ve been scheduling our 4th year clinical rotations. I’m really pleased with how my schedule has turned out. It’s a nice mix of easy (okay, not necessarily easy, per se, but at least not too hard) and hard, with my vacation blocks spread out at good times. I’m really excited about the two extramural externships I have planned. One will be at a high volume, high quality spay & neuter facility in the mountains. The other will be at a local feline-only practice. I can’t believe clinics are less than 6 months away!

Fun Stuff…

For Halloween, a group of friends and I dressed up as the Zanesville, Ohio wild animal escape. I went as a gunshot tiger. We also had a monkey with herpes B and a bear. The shining star was our giraffe. True, there was no giraffe in the Ohio escape, but the costume idea was too awesome to pass up. This was the most effort I’ve ever put into a costume. Painting my face took an hour! It was worth it, though. (And of course, my effort paled in comparison to the hours and hours it took to make the giraffe.)
The giraffe was very tall!
Missing: one monkey with Herpes B.


Santa gets a kiss from giraffe: my favorite Halloween 2011 picture.

I went to my first NCSU tailgate and football game. It was fun. It would have probably been more fun if I could get into the NCSU cheers and traditions. NCSU won (beat rival UNC) so the fans were happy. I think I prefer watching SEC games from the comfort of my couch.
NCSU vs. UNC tailgate

No comments:

Post a Comment