Tuesday, December 14, 2010

Five Things That Keep Me From Going Crazy In Winter


I hate cold weather. Every winter, to keep from turning into a bitter hermit who never leaves the fireside, I try to remind myself that there are a few good things about the cold.

  1. Stars are brighter in the winter sky.
  2. Hawks are easier to spot in leafless trees.
  3. It’s cool to watch dogs sniff like crazy in the brisk cold air.
  4. Coat pockets mean more carrying space for keys, phones, wallets…. Unless, of course, those coat pockets are filled with the accessories of winter: gloves, Kleenex, a flashlight because it is dark from 5pm until 8am and half your dog walks are in the dark, cough drops, lip balm….
  5. More time for reading because it is somewhat socially acceptable to be a bitter hermit who never leaves the fireside. No one else wants to change from slippers into shoes and get out from under the blankets, either.
And that’s all I’ve got. Any additions to my list? (Comments about how awesome snow is will be ignored.)

6 comments:

  1. You should turn off un-approved commenting.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thank you, Justin. I'm pleased that you believe my blog will become so popular as to receive comment spam.

    ReplyDelete
  3. join me at Bali Intimates on facebook!

    ReplyDelete
  4. just kidding. that was spam. i try to defy winter by wearing a hat and being grateful that there are no flies and no mud.

    ReplyDelete
  5. No bugs! That has made my list in the past but I had forgotten it this year!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Snow days. Comfort food and the clothes to hide it. Although maybe that isn't such a good thing.

    ReplyDelete